Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Bob -

These are most likely from an April 1977 QST article by Howard Sartori, W5DA. They were "OK", but used obscure devices even when the article was published. He later manufactured and sold commercial versions.

Like most "re-engineering" of successful commercial designs, they worked, but were definitely inferior to a set of good tubes. My viewpoint is that if one day, when there are NO tubes to be found, (not likely in our lifetime, although a few are getting expensive,) THEN it might be worth considering. A better answer is to keep vintage gear as designed, and enjoy it for what it is/was. You would be far better served to just purchase a more modern rig if you want solid-state.

Actually, even the most expensive "Drake" tubes are well within inflationary price adjustments. The 6JB6 sold for a little under $3 in 1966, and most prices have increased about 10 times since then in "Dollars". So $30 isn't all that far off. I purchased a new Volvo sedan in 1969 for $3,300, including AM/FM radio and A/C. The equivalent model cost me $10,000 in 1976. $33,000 won't get me the equivalent model today!!

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Robert Ladden wrote:

Robert Ladden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
See eBay item 130130901159. These are homebrew (not Tubesters) and sold for $25.00. I saw them but did not buy. Were there instructions published to make these?

73,
Bob WW3QB