"Jim F." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Thank you John,

Espically for the tips on using:
Satin Black, rubbing compound / turtle wax
(essential), FINISH RE-NU, and DE-OXIT.

Will gladly add your note to my 2B file.

I tried 2 part chrome fingernail polish on the main
tuning knob rust with mixed results. Don't know if
I like the rust better :-)

The dial backround was rusty and that's why I
re-painted the visible part. And used the same
Ivory paint on the little arrowhead pointers
on the knobs (toothpick to paint).

Do you think I should give the tuning shaft a whack
(pressure) to try to correct the slight bend ?
A  whack probably bent it in the first place.
Wonder if a whack or pressure in
the opposite direction would correct or break it ?

A flea market is coming up and I will look for
knobs, a tuning shaft (fat chance :-) or a better 2B.

I also have a set of Drake twins.
Haven't tried the transmitter but the R4-B
receiver works great. Think that I like the
2B better though.

14.060 crystals are available cheaply
and should provide 10 Mhz WWV, and 30m coverage.

Nice talking with you John...I'm 68 and a ham for 54
years, and a diehard QRPer. Short bio on QRZ.com.

Best regards,

jim

--- john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the
> drakelist gang

> Hi Jim,
>
> All sounds good!  I always advise against cleaning
> screened dial glass (for
> the reasons you found out!!!), and I'd suggest
> "Satin Black" as a good
> match for the cabinet.
>
> White rubbing compound or turtle wax does a nice job
> on hardware heads AND
> knobs / trim rings.... and the ivory dial
> background....and cabinets!
> Essential stuff.  I've got some polish... "Finish
> re-nu" thats like a finer
> white compound in liquid suspension that I use on
> lots of things.... from
> auto parts store.
>
> 2B slide switches are perpetually bad...de-oxit from
> the back (at least
> they're easy to clean!)
>
> They're great little radios!
>
> John K5MO
>

> At 10:04 PM 9/28/2007, Jim F. wrote:
>
> >"Jim F." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to
> the drakelist gang

> >Hi John - K5MO,  and John, W1JA;
> >

> >Nice to hear from you... Turned on Tubie (My name
> for
> >the 2B) and it worked fine tonight. Here at the
> >cottage, am surrounded by HV AC wiring which is
> >sometimes very noisy.  Wonder if the AC line is
> used
> >for other things besides power (BPL) ?
> >
> >I am staying at a beach cottage and my fun project
> has
> >been the 2B and a TS-430S and I must say that the
> 2B
> >is a lot more fun to fix.
> >
> >Don't know where to start...
> >
> >Let everything dry well between stages (hair dryer
> OK)
> >
> >For the the front panel, remove it, wash gently
> with
> >soap and water, rinse and dry.
> >sand rust carefully to get rid of loose rust.
> >Apply "Rust Converter" from Walmart.
> >Converts rust to a black, paintable, sandable
> primer.
> >Fill in the pits with Bondo Glazing Putty (Walmart)
> >and sand. Repeat till smooth.
> >Mask then spray with Krylon semi-flat #1613, and/or
> >apply with q-tip or toothpick.
> >(I used flat black and it is not a very perfect
> match)
> >
> >*****IMPORTANT: Lettering on rear of glass
> faceplate
> >                 is protected with clear spray that
> >                  will cloud up if you disturb it.
> >                  CLEAN CAREFULLY ! WARM WATER ONLY
> >                  AND DO NOT RUB. I found that out
> :-(
> >
> >Front panel screws: Sand, pick out rust, and paint.
> >Punch holes in bottom
> >of yogurt cup and stick screws in to paint.  Glossy
> >black #1601 really looks good
> >on screws.
> >
> >I had to sand and use concentrater on bottom front,
> >sides and back of chassis.
> >I then painted halfway up the rear of the chassis.
> >Looks kinda macho, and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===