Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
The black tarnish doesn't hurt anything, it's soft and conductive. If you look closely you'll see a bright silver stripe on the wiper where the actual contact is made.

I don't know of any _SAFE_ way to remove the black. Some have used "Silver Polish" or cleaner, which will remove it (along with some of the silver plating), but considering the fragility and irreplaceable nature of most of these small switches I believe the downside is MUCH greater than the benefit. All it takes is one fixed contact to get caught by a Q-Tip fiber and you have a REAL problem!! The CRC cleans, but the "dry" contact surfaces will wear faster. DeoxIT will leave a lube and keep them working!

So unless you're looking to make a "concours" display unit with the rotary switches visible, put some DeoxIT liquid on the contacts and exercise the switch a few times.

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Carey Lockhart wrote:
what i am trying to clean is the black tarnish build up. i got what i could with crc but it seems to dry everything out.

Carey Lockhart, KC5GTT