Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Doug -

My problem, (or at least THIS problem,) with the iambic keying, (actually dot/dash memory,) is that I learned on a homebrew keyer back in 1957! The circuit was printed in QST for December 1954.

This keyer, when used with a dual or iambic style paddle, sends self-completing dots on a left closure, dashes on a right closure, and dashes when squeezed. Called "dash override" in some circles. The 9TO and Hallicrafter's HA-1 (same circuit) worked the same way. NO dot or dash memories, no sticking in "extra" elements, and certainly NO alternating dots and dashes!! I had a work-study student working for me in the 70's who insisted that "iambic" took fewer keystrokes with a dual paddle than "dash override". He went through the entire alphabet, punctuation and numbers and determined that the two methods were almost identical in number of keystrokes.

To send a "W", you squeeze the paddles, hitting the dot side fractionally before the dash. Same for a "J" or a "1", just hold it squeezed a little longer. I can send cleanly at about 45-50 wpm with decent paddles. You can imagine what happens when I try to use a keyer with dot and/or dash memories! With an iambic keyer, I can't even send my call!! It comes out K4O-R-H every time because the stupid keyer insists on sticking in that extra dot on the "A" !! :-)

I've managed to retrain myself to live with the V9 setting on the LogiKey, using the squeeze only for "periods", but I still like the HA-1 best!

I thought it was hard to switch between a keyer and a bug! The first minute or so on the bug I find myself waiting for the dashes to repeat, but the never do.

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Doug Smith wrote:
Doug Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang