"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 21:37:29 -0500, Garey Barrell wrote:

>> The one on my L4B failed quite spectacularly. One of those things you never
>> forget. I'm still not sure why, but the working theory is that the connector
>> body absorbed enough moisture to flash over at 220 volts.
>
>That's interesting..!!   Never really thought about it, but the 400
>Series connectors are only rated to 250VAC, so I guess it wouldn't take
>much moisture.  The REAL Cinch-Jones connectors are a true bakelite
>body, while the Molex versions are a thermosetting plastic.

Yeah, go figure. I plugged my NCL2000 into the same source and it ran like a
champ, so it likely wasn't a problem with the house wiring. I quadruple
checked all the wiring, everything was fine, the L4B had been power-up tested
on 120v without issues.

When I said "specatcular", I wasn't kidding. Flames shot out of the connector
on the end of the PS-to-RF deck cable.

I didn't intend to cast aspersions on Jones connectors, they really are quite
good.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain