Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang

Jim Shorney wrote:
"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 21:37:29 -0500, Garey Barrell wrote:

The one on my L4B failed quite spectacularly. One of those things you never
forget. I'm still not sure why, but the working theory is that the connector
body absorbed enough moisture to flash over at 220 volts.
That's interesting..!! Never really thought about it, but the 400 Series connectors are only rated to 250VAC, so I guess it wouldn't take much moisture. The REAL Cinch-Jones connectors are a true bakelite body, while the Molex versions are a thermosetting plastic.

Yeah, go figure. I plugged my NCL2000 into the same source and it ran like a
champ, so it likely wasn't a problem with the house wiring. I quadruple
checked all the wiring, everything was fine, the L4B had been power-up tested
on 120v without issues.

When I said "specatcular", I wasn't kidding. Flames shot out of the connector
on the end of the PS-to-RF deck cable.

I didn't intend to cast aspersions on Jones connectors, they really are quite
good.

Yikes! Nothing like going out in a blaze of glory. You don't often get flames!! :-)

They're good connectors, but I guess I'll be a little more careful about using them for 240 VAC!

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs