Darrell Bellerive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) lists. I will also include "VA7TO 2-B:"
in the subject for those who would like to filter messages.

I hope that this serves two purposes, first is for me to gain from the
experience of others, and learn some tips and tricks and second to document
what I have done so that those following me in a 2-B project can learn from
my efforts.

First of all a little history of my 2-B. I purchased it at the Spokane Hamfest
in September of 2007 complete with 2-BQ Q multiplier and speaker. The seller
did not know much of the history of the radio, and a quick test at the
hamfest showed it received a 40 meter test signal. I paid $275 cash. The
radio is in good shape cosmetically and looked fairly clean inside.

The receiver immediately went into service as my bedside receiver. I was
thoroughly impressed by the audio quality and the selectivity on CW with the
Q-multiplier. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wished that I had purchased a 2-B as
my first receiver rather than an Hallicrafters SX-140 back in 1975.

The 2-B saw regular duty for several months, until one evening it exhibited a
loud white noise sound. At that point it was taken out of service and has
remained unused. The details on the white noise sound are in this message:

Last night I pulled the cover off and was surprised to see how clean the
inside of the chassis is. It is also a lot easier to work on than I had
thought it would be.

In operation, the passband control did not seem to line up with the knob
markings and I suspected that the knob had been reinstalled incorrectly at
some point in the past. Using the information on Garey Barrell, K4OAH's Drake
2-B Service Supplement CD, I was able to confirm that the knob had been
placed 90 degrees clockwise from where it should have been and I readjusted
it.

For a starting reference point I measured all the points listed in the
resistance table in the 2-B manual. I was also surprised to see that the
measured readings were quite close to those listed in the table.

The radio was NOT connected to anything including the power, 2-BQ or speaker,
and the controls were set as follows:
Preselector: 5
Band: 15 M
Power: Off
Cal: Off
Stby: Rcv
AVC: Slow AVC
NL: On
Detector: Product
BFO: On
RF Gain: Max (fully clockwise)
AF Gain: Max (fully clockwise)
Passband: 2.1 kHz and Knob arrow pointed to 12:00 o'clock.
Freq: 21.150 Mhz

The resistance of pin 3 of V-8 will be altered by the position of the noise
limiter (NL) switch. Intially I had the switch off and measured only 346 kilo
ohms, rather than the 2.5 mega ohms I should have seen. A quick check of the
schematic showed that the switch must be on to reach the specified
resistance.

The next step was to test the tubes.
V-1 (RF amp) and Zenith 6BZ6 - Tested OK
V-2 (1st mixer & xtal osc) RCA 6U8A - Tested shorted
V-3 (2nd mixer & vfo) RCA 6BE6 - Tested OK
V-4 (3rd mixer) Sylvania 6BE6 - Tested OK
V-5 (IF amp) Sylvania 6BA6 - Tested OK
V-6 (AVC Amp and AM det) Sylvania 6BF6 - Tested right on the line between good
and bad
V-7 (Prod Det and BFO) Sylvania 6BE6 - Tested OK
V-8 (audio amp) Sylvania 8BN8 - Tested OK
V-9 (audio output) Sylvania 6AQ5 - Tested just into the good
V-10 (Power Rect) unreadable brand 6X4 - Tested OK
Crystal Calibrator Sylvania 6BZ6 - Tested shorted
2-BQ Sylvania 12AX7 - Tested OK

I had a spare 6BZ6 of unreadable brand that I substituted into the crystal
calibrator and also a spare 6U8A also of unreadable brand that I substituted
into V-2. So all the shorted tubes have been replaced, but some low emission
tubes should also be replaced.

The manual specifies a 6U8 at V-2, but there was a 6U8A there. Should this be
replaced with a 6U8?

I would guess that the 2-B originally came with all Sylvania tubes. Can anyone
confirm this? Are there better brands that anyone would recommend for certain
tubes or stages?

I would like to replace the 6BF6 (V-6) and the 6AQ5 (V-9) with stronger tubes.
I am wondering if I should stay with Sylvania brand tubes or if it matters,
or if there are better brands to use. Should I even go so far as to replace
the non-Sylvania tubes with Sylvania tubes or other recommended brands?

I also have a number of industrial tubes and wonder about tube substitution
with some of these.

Please reply with your comments and suggestions on what you think I should do
about the tubes.

While I wait for advice on tubes and then source replacements, I will begin
work on recapping, replacing the RF and AF gain pots, and cleaning up the
knobs and dial.

I was fortunate to get a recapping kit, the RF and AF gain pots, and the red
window slider knob from Unique Radio Parts before they ceased business. I
also have a replacement filter cap from  Tom NØJMY
(http://hayseedhamfest.com).

Please email me any suggestions.

73,
Darrell