Mike -

Before you expend too much effort in this, do you have ANY tubes that will neutralize? The RCA and Sylvania tubes were very close to the same and either should neutralize without difficulty or changes. I HAVE used GE tubes without difficulty also, aside the from fact that they seemed to fall off in output power more quickly from brand new than either Sylvania or RCA brands. I wonder if by the time that Service Bulletin was issued if the "GE" branded tubes may in fact not have been manufactured by GE.

Back in the 60's, Sylvania 6JB6s (and all Zenith branded tubes) were manufactured by Sylvania. RCA 6JB6s were manufactured by RCA. By the mid 70's, tubes were being "cross-manufactured" and branded as tube manufacturing plants were being shut down. So a GE branded tube may in fact have been built by another company.

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line & TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

WA3WOM wrote:
A Drake technical bulletin issued when Drake could no longer get Sylvania 6JB6s and they had to begin substituting GE brand ones, says the following: /The T-4X series transmitter uses a 6 pf @ 2KV padder capacitor (C-48) across the neutralization capacitor (C-49). You must experiment with a small value capacitor across the existing padder C-48 to achieve proper neutralization./ I have several sets of matched GE and RCA brand 6JB6s that I am having trouble neutralizing. Anyone have any idea what "_small value capacitor_" means in this context? TNX ES 73 DE MIKE WA3WOM K