Well, there still may be a thermal effect.   It is hard to imagine a
time constant of several minutes that is due to a capacitor, while a
component or sub-assembly will undergo such time constants.  If you
have some cold spray, you might try a short blast in specific areas to
see if there is a dramatic change.

As for what may be the root cause, I would check for evidence of a
carrier bleed-through or spurious signal  or a possible weak
oscillation that is getting through the IF chain and getting rectified
by the AVC detector (in other words, masquerading as a real signal).

Dennis