The minor changes to S-meter reading (transient or otherwise) as you
introduce or remove AVC path components (Fast vs Slow and BFO) don't
seem very revealing to me.  The slow drift in the S-meter over several
minutes is the revealing symptom.  This latter behavior could be
caused by a gassy tube whose grid is being fed from that very high
impedance AVC line as Garey has suggested or by the grid having become
contaminated and thus acting as a virtual cathode. So swapping out all
those gain-control tubes with a fresh tube one at a time would be a
good experiment.

Dennis AE6C