Hi John:

I have a similar problem here but it isnt necessarily limited to new linears. Depending on the tube and circuit configuration, input drive requirements can be quite low.

I think the best solution, not necessarily elegant, is to use a pad between amp and trans. Will require possiblely some relay fiffling for tx/rx but will do the trick for you . I use a 3dB pad in a small box for my t4x. it is made up of non-inductive resistors and has served me for over 40years on this rig. You can also now get some monolithic attenuator modules that will require mounting on a heatsink and possible fan use but they are smaller and come in different ratings and values. It allows the tr to run at a more normal power level and not overdrive the amp. Bonus here is that it helps to heat the shack on these -2F mornings!!

Curt
KU8L

John Stringer wrote:
I am using my TR7 with a modern linear and have come up with what can best
be described as an irritation rather than a problem.
The linear requires only 20watts drive for 400 watts out (our limit).
In SSB the only output control on the TR7 is the Mic Gain.It is a real
fiddle to adjust this for 20 watts and more so to keep it there. The
smallest touch on the gain control can double the output and also it cannot
cope with peaks.
Modern radios have SSB output level separated from Mic Gain.
Any ideas on how to get around this situation?
John GI3KDR