From: drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net [mailto:drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net] On
Behalf Of Ken Stutts
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:50 AM
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: [Drakelist] Mystery Modification to Drake TR-4

Recently became a new Drake TR-4 owner via eBay.  Got lucky and the radio
appears to be in pretty good shape.  Purchased a Turner +3
mic to go with it and fixing to go through the radio cleaning switches, pots,
relays, etc to try and get her in top shape.  Got a
fan to do a mod with that on the finals.  First lesson…  Mic plug is not a ¼”
plug…  Ha!  Ha!  So muddled through that one.

Here is my question….  When looking at the radio from the front, on the left
side, towards the bottom of the cabinet, there is a pot
with a knob, that is adjustable and has a off (I assume) position.  It is
labeled, by an owner “Max” and “Min”.    In receive, it
appears to have no effect.  I haven’t been able to place the unit in transmit
yet to see if it has any effect there.

I know the info here is sparse….  But I figured some of you guys that have
forgotten more about these radios than I will ever know
may have a clue as to what this mod is….   If not, when I take her apart I’ll
try and trace it down and see where it goes….

Geez, this radio sure sounds good…..

Thanks in advance for any help….

Ken

KB4MUV