Ken - is it next to the meter? Or on the bottom of the cabinet?

I see nothing like that on the front panel of a TR4...

It's been a long time.  Is it a trimpot that you access through a hole
on the bottom, or is it a black plastic shaft protruding through?

Could it be VOX sensitivity perhaps?

Here's a picture of the underside:
http://www.radiophile.com/tr4under.jpg

Help us identify where you are seeing this control please....

More views:

http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeArticles/DrakeRefurbishing/Refurbishi
ng-01.htm