  From: Gary Poland
  To: Drakelist@zerobeat.net
  Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:05 PM
  Subject: Re: [Drakelist] TR7 acting strange

  Ron,
    I haven't been following the thread but of the TR-7's that I have owned or
serviced the lowest I have seen the +24 volts and not had an issue with the PLL
locking up on 14 mhz and higher was 23.6 volts. That's not to say 23.3 vdc is
bad, I just haven't yet seen it. The voltage just needs to be high enough for
the VCO to work on higher frequencies.
    The 30 vdc input for the 24 v regulator is derived from the DC inverter
Q2104, Q2105, T2101, and associated parts. Some times the powdered core halves
of T2101 will separate and lower the 30 volts input. In that case just
reposition them and tighten the loop wire holding them or use hot glue to keep
them in place. Some power supply boards will have 68 ohm resistors soldered
across R2129 and R2130. This may also help to raise the 30 volts from the
regulator. I also in one case I replaced C2117 and C2115 with .033 ufd to get
the voltage up. Like the 68 ohm resistors some boards have those same
capacitors soldered on the backs of the board so I suspect Drake had issues
with the design.

  73, Gary W8PU
  http://home.roadrunner.com/~w8pu