On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:13:53 -0500, Garey Barrell wrote:

>I would add one thing to Gary's suggestion below.  You have had the DR-7
>board in and out a time or two, and those long pins have a problem of
>cracking the solder joints.

Excellent advice. I will add to that, the female contacts can also become
deformed from repeated removal/reinsertion, and make intermittent contact. They
can be inspected visually, and the fix is to desolder the connector from the
board, remove the contact from the shell, and re-form it. A little DeOxit
down't hurt either (but don't SPRAY!).

>One other strange problem I've seen is on some units,
>if you push the DR-7 board down too far, the pins can actually touch the
>Parent board, intermittently, of course....  :-)

I've seen pins stick far enough through the female connector to contact bare
component legs next to the connector. That will drive you nuts. A great trick I
found for the DR7 is to add a couple of the small stick-on rubber feet (the
flat ones, not the rounded variety) along the bottom of the rear edge of the
board. This lets the board seat down just the right amount in that area, which
seems to be the easiest area to push down too far.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://radiojim(dot)exofire(dot)net
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org