James,
   I also suggest the URM-25 series of signal generators. They are plentyfull
and can be purchased for around $200. They are not all the same and were made
by different manufactures I am told so do your homework. I have owned a URM-25F
( 10kHz to 50 mHz ) for several years and the only real drawback is they do
drift and can be very difficult to tune especially at low frequencies. You will
want to use a frequency counter if you plan to use one for servicing your Drake
receivers and need 50 khz for instance to be accurate.
   I retired mine and now use a Singer CSM-1 that is rock solid.

 www.kiss-electronics.com/

73, Gary W8PU
http://home.roadrunner.com/~w8pu