Craig -

For what it's worth, I agree with Jeff!  :-)

Even if the LED shorted, it still should NOT blow the fuse, since the limiting resistor will handle the difference in most cases.

If the LEDs were of the bayonet base type that just plugged in, Jim probably had the answer. The terminals on the pilot lamp sockets turn, and then short to the chassis. Same problem in the 4 Line pieces.

So the problem is NOT the LEDs themselves, the exact same problem can happen with the bulbs in there.

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Craig Roberts wrote:
I think you may be onto something, Jim! Some time ago my PTO and meter dial lamps were replaced by LEDs. This is a practice frowned upon by the likes of Jeff Covelli. He objects on aesthetic grounds ("not original") but also because these devices occasionally short out causing, in his words, "some problems." I may have experienced one of these problems. Here's the clue: When I last powered up the rig, just before it blew, I noted that the PTO light was dead. Now, according to the schematic, it's wired in parallel with the meter lamp so it must be faulty, eh?

Once I receive my replacement fuses and tantalum caps (I ordered spares just in case) and install them, I'm going to cut the LED out of the circuit and give it a whirl. If that works, I'll install my rewired power supply board again. If all is still well, I'm going to take Jeff's advice and restore the original #53 incandescent lamps.
Here's hoping.  Whaddya think, Jim?
Many thanks for your wisdom.

73,
Craig