My bargain eBay W-4 arrived over the weekend, but I didn't get a chance to try
it out until today. Scratched up case, but otherwise intact, it looks like it
has seen life and then sat on a shelf for a while.

Testing with the TR-7 and a Bird GigaHertz dummy load showed that it agreed
within 10 or so watts with the internal wattmeter and with my HyGain 421B
(hardly a lab reference) from 28 MHz down through 14 MHz. But when I got down
to 7 MHz and below, all hell broke loose. I was getting forward power readings
of from 500 Watts to 2000+ Watts, depending on the band, with anomalous
reflected readings as well. Both the internal TR-7 meter and the HyGain meter
showed nothing unusual. I have NEVER seen a wattmeter act like this.

Having nothing to lose at this point, I carefully opened the sensor box for
inspection. What I found was a 2.2 uF capacitor in series with a small
inductor, soldered from the anode (the RF side!) of D1 in the forward power
circuit to ground. I removed it immediatly and normal operation was restored on
all bands, although it appears the meter needs calibration of at least the null
capacitor.

My best guess is that someone attempted to install a quasi-peak reading mod and
screwed up. The meter was subsequently set on a shelf and left to collect dust
when it started acting strangely.

Ya learn something new every day. Seems like I've been getting all the strange
ones lately.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://radiojim.exofire.net
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org