If you are not turning the dial and it jumps then it is not likely a mechanical issue. As stated before the vfo oscillator is quite voltage sensitive. My bet is the Zener as I have written earlier. Solid state devices were not consistently uniform as they are now and with use can get into an unstable part of the curve and exhibit an inconsistent impeadence and hen e the jump.

Suggest you change the Zener

Sent from my iPhone
David Assaf, III

On Aug 24, 2010, at 10:22 AM, "steve white" <sswh...@mchsi.com> wrote:

Dennis

I had this problem once in a old HQ170 and it turned out to be the C in the vfo LC circuit. It was a nice looking mica capacitor and I didn’t think at first that it could be the problem but after all the other things I changed once I replaced it all was right with the wo rld again.

Steve NU0P

From: drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net [mailto:drakelist- boun...@zerobeat.net] On Behalf Of Dennis Monticelli
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 23:59
To: pony...@aol.com
Cc: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] unstable R4C PTO

Zener diodes can develop an instability in their voltage "knee" value due to migration of mobile charge at the surface of the semiconductor. A random walk of a few tens or hundreds of mV could produce your frequency problem. Put a scope probe on the zener and set your scrope for high sensitivity. See if you observe a "jumpy" voltage.

Dennis AE6C