On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:52:58 -0500, Donley wrote:

>My question is: Is it worth the cost to add three crystals to each set for
>complete 10 meter coverage?

As Curt mentioned, you will want that lower 500  KHz. These rigs were made
before the Technician subband came about, when SSB activity was above 28.5, and
the extra segments were options..Since the creation of the Technician subband
at 28.3-28.5, the bulk of SSB activity has been in that area. As the sunspots
kick up, activity will increase above 28.5, but your best bet for contacts will
still be in the Tech subband. CW, digital modes, and propagation beacons are
below 28.3. The unofficial AM subband is from roughly 29.000 MHz to 29.200 MHz,
so you will want 29.0-29.5 if you have any interest in  AM (yes, there is
activity there). The satellite subband is from 29.300 MHz to 29.510 MHz, but
I've been away from that for a few years and I don't know what is there
anymore. Above that is FM territory, so that top 200 KHz isn't very useful with
the Drakes.

OTOH, there is plenty of room up there in nosebleed territory for you to hook
up with someone for an extended QSO, with possibly no one listening. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-meter_band#10-meter_sub-bands

73,

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://radiojim.exofire.net
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org