At 17:08 12/11/2010, Jim Shorney wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:19:40 -0500, Thom LaCosta wrote:

>The IRC experiment was very frustrating.....as far as I could tell,
>less than 10 folks checked in and hardly anyone talked.
>
>Thanks to those brave souls that gave it a try.

Sorry to hear that, Thom. I enjoyed the brief chat that I had with you there a
couple of weeks ago. In my experience, one problem with "chat rooms" is that
busy people who have things to do and places to go don't have much time for
them. OTOH, they can also be like the radio, in that everyone is lurking,
waiting for someone to "call CQ". If no one calls CQ, there's no talking.
Sometimes a note to the list saying "I'm in IRC, come chat with me" helps too.

Yes, it was nice to chat....beats email and forums, since it is immediate.

Good point about the call CQ....but then again, like the tree in the forest, if there
is no one to listen....is there sound?

I monitor IRC most of the time....I hear an obnoxious beep when there is activity...so,
I look forward to Drake Beeps.

73
Thom k3hrn