Carl -

The Jumper Board makes it a lot easier to eliminate, (or indict!,) the DR-7. The counter preset information is carried between the Digital Board and the Translator Board on the pins on the left side of the DR-7, and they are susceptible to solder cracking with age, stress.

The 'snapping / popping' sounds are concerning!!!! That deserves further investigation.

Just to clarify, you said the HT read the 'correct' frequency. It's 'off' by 600 kHz, so I assume you had the repeater offset 'on'.??

A good extender board kit is available from W7AVK at

<http://www.wb4hfn.com/Services/W7AVK/tr7ext2.htm>

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

gypsym...@aol.com wrote:
 k4...@mindspring.com writes:

    First thing I would do is pull the DR-7 and put in the Jumper
    Board from
    the Extender set.  73, Garey - K4OAH

Hi Garey,
This isn't going to make the xyl happy, already spend my Christmas money on an antenna analizer.
Any suggestion as to brands of extender.
I have the owners & service manual.
A Beckman 20 Meg scope, with 100 Meg probes it really gets close to the limits. Two high impedance voms. (Fluke & Beckman), and for that matter my old Heathkit VTVM. The digits will now move around as I hear snapping popping noises. But will do additional checks today as soon as grandson goes for nap, or down for night. Still no "normal sounds" in any mode. Had at one point resoldered all of the pins, but will recheck that DR7 as could have been a tad rough I suppose. The small transformer on the PS board appears fine. I do not relish the thought but I could pull the boards from my good working TR7 as substitutes.
Carl