----- Original Message ----- From: <kc9...@aol.com>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:35 PM
Subject: [Drakelist] R-4B 80 meters not working all the time

Hi everyone,
Well, I think I finally found the problem withthe R-4B 80 meters not working sometimes.
It is the 14.6 crystal after all.
I thought it was a bandswitch contact and after several days of workig on this on/off....it looks like the crystal. I swapped a crystal in from a R-4C and now everytime I turn it on it works perfect. Except it was off 15 KC! So I swapped one in from a friends R-4C and it is right on. Before it seemed to not work right away after power on...but after it warmed up for quite a while it started working....kind of strange??

Anyone heard of this before about a crystal failing this way (when cold, mostly)?

Also, I need a 14.6 anyone have one extra for a reasonable price?? Actually looks like I need 2, but one for now would be fine. I guess if no one has any..I will have to call JAN Crystals to see if they still have them?

73,
Lee, KC9CDT

I can tell you that crystals do sometimes go off frequency with time and they do go dead. I've had both happen recently to "modern" sealed case crystals made probably 45 to 55 years ago. I don't know what the failure mechanism is but both are of the plated on electrode kind.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles