Hi Eddy -

Can't argue with success!  Hope it holds....

By the way, there IS voltage stabilization in the R-4, an 0B2 at V14. This supplies +150 VDC Regulated to the 100 kHz Calibrator, the PTO and the BAND oscillator.

When you said that the frequency drifted 'slowly' when the voltage drops and drifts 'quickly' when the voltage comes back up, I was on board with your filament regulation idea as that's the sort of behavior I would expect.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Diane and Edward Swynar wrote:
Hi Again Everone,

...Just a brief post-script to this thread...

Monitoring the T-4X transmit frequency on my R-4 sure has highlighted the
fact that load changes on the AC mains have a detrimental effect upon that
receiver. Whenever the forced-air electric furnace / heat-pump in the
adjoining room would start, the frequency of the R-4 would creep (and no, it
wasn't my frequency that was changing, it was the station I was listrening
to).

A look at the schematic shows no obvious precautions taken with the R-4 to
stabilize critical voltages. I wonder if anyone has ever added a VR tube
after-the-fact to their R-4 to stabilize things...? And if so, was it worth
the effort...?

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ