Paul -

Yes, narrow filters limit the noise bandwidth, PLUS they tend to stretch and delay noise pulses causing them to not match up with blanking pulses or be too long to be effectively blanked. This is one design decision for the four or six pole (can't recall which at the moment) filter that Drake used. More poles, (sections,) in a filter increase the group delay (stretching) of especially pulse type signals.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Paul Christensen wrote:
I'm planning on adding a GUF-1 filter to my R-4C receiver. Any comments as to the selection of either the 6 kHz or 8 kHz filter version of the GUF-1? One comment on the web indicated that the 4NB is more effective with the 8 kHz GUF-1. Perhaps it's a decision that balances NB effectiveness versus narrower Rx bandwidth.

Paul, W9AC