Fellow enthusiasts,

Had a question about the 0.82 protection resistor in an L7 power supply, which
is identical to the supply used for the L4B and almost identical to the one
used with the L4.  I've been using this configuration for almost 10 years
without any problems.  I've had experiences with these resistors in my
amplifiers as well as those I've serviced for others.  Typically, a high
voltage short will pop that resistor very fast and protect the diode strings
and transformer, if the short is external to the power supply (i.e. in the
cable or RF deck).  Yesterday I had a failure of that resistor with a failure
mode that is unlike anything I've ever experienced before and wonder if anybody
else has seen this phenomenon as well.

When tuning up my L4B that used the L7PS with a brief over current situation,
followed by a brief arc in the RF deck followed by a sizzling sound in the
power supply caused by the protection resistor entering a failure mode.  To
make a long story short, that resistor did not fail instantaneously.  Instead,
the body of the resistor had maybe 25% of it blown away and the carbon
"element" down the center was fractured and not making continuous contact.  As
long as the amp was in standby, there was no problem.  When going into
transmit, the resistor would arc and light up the inside of the case but would
not fail in a typical, rapid manner.  Fortunately I shut things down and
eliminated further damage.  I've repaired supplies where the paper insulation
on the transformer was burned or carbonized in some cases indicating there
might have been a small fire; details from the owners were sketchy since the
supplies were always out of sight and direct observation was not possible
during the failures.  It is possible that the protection resistor was placed
too close to the transformer; in these supplies it was obvious that somebody
had replaced the resistors previously and the leads seemed to indicate close
placement to the transformer winding.

In any case, I wonder how many of you might have experienced a similar
situation.  I hope this is an isolated situation and it serves to remind us
that when there is a problem like this, shutting things down quickly is the
best course of action.

Enjoy those Drakes.

73,

Evan, K9SQG