----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Shorney" <jshor...@inebraska.com>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] PTO Question and Drake 4C Questions

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:15:20 -0500, lee wrote:

If you put a lubricant on the nylon gears, they will swell and bind !!! Do not lubricate the nylon gears, metal ones are OK to lubricate.

Some nylon gears apparently were lubricated. When I acquired my minty, virgin, single-owner R-7A, I opened it up to fix the wonky Molex connectors and was
surprised to find factory lubricated nylon on the PTO.

Use the *right* lube, and you're OK.

73

-Jim

I've seen a lot of other stuff with plastic gears that were lubricated at the factory. I think that neither Nylon or Delrin is a particularly low friction material. Brass gears do not need lubrication but nearly all other materials do.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles