Steve,
Is the chirping "clocked" or more "free running" in nature?

Ron

--- On Tue, 8/23/11, Steve Wedge <w1es1...@earthlink.net> wrote:

From: Steve Wedge <w1es1...@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Drakelist] I feel like a buzzard...
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 7:20 PM

...circling around and around...

Moved the (new) filter caps up out of the way and
grounded them to the grounding stud on the rear panel.  Chirp, chirp,
chirp!  Up - down - up - down, chirp!

Monitored Lo @ 18.1 MHz on my K3 - solid signal
even while the R-4A was happily chirping away...

Monitored PTO on the K3 - chirp, chirp,
etc...

Disconnected everything from the PTO... Chirp,
chirp on the K3...

Put in a 10V zener to get voltage to solid
10.2V.  Chirp!

When it wobbles and chirps, I see the trace of the
10V line on the scope change.  It doesn't drop or increase - it's just a
change in the ripple, apparently.  If I tap the chassis under the PTO, I
can make it wobble and chirp.  I'm not really understanding this in that
this PTO is the one that was working great in the T-4XB.

Could the power supply be starving even though the
xtal oscillator is not changing at all?

73,

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
-
Joe Walsh

If the above message appears, it came from Steve's
Son of Laptop!
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----