Just my opinion, but I think the metal gears are way over valued. I still think they were a cost cutting measure when they ran out of nylon gears near the end of the production cycle. Nylon gears themselves are inexpensive, but the tooling to manufacture them is quite expensive. If the tooling 'wears out or is lost or broken, metal gears from stock look a lot more attractive.

The metal gears have a 'grainy' feeling to me, while the nylon ones are smooth
as glass.

When the nylon gears are 'soaked' in oil, it sometimes becomes necessary to re-do the 'Smooth as Glass' process on 'hfn after they have swollen a bit more.

Opinions are like ... well, you know.

St Charles, IL

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

kc9...@aol.com wrote:
Rich,
Based on my experience...clean those gears with soap & water & use a stiff brush to be sure NO old gread, dirt etc is in the very bottem of the teeth.
Maybe you have already done this...if so maybe there is still oil in the
plastic?
73,
Lee