Hello Don and the group.

Please do not quote me but if memory serves me correctly the HC-6 and the FT243
have the same center to center pin spacing,  just the diameter of the pins is
different with the FT-243 being bigger (as in same diameter as a pin from an
old octal tube or .093" od).  Also I do not think that International Crystal
still has HC-6/U holders as they now call then HC-48's.  I once tried to have a
discussion with International Crystal about that and got no answer but if you
look at their web site.  That is just a nomenclature difference but it makes it
hard to go to a manufacturer's web site and find what you are looking for
without knowing that the old nomenclature no longer exists but what you are
looking for is called something else and still exists.

I think Bry Carling's web site has a crystal socket page that shows them very
well.  From Bry's web page at:
http://www.af4k.com/crystal_holders.htm
  he lists the HC6 and FT243 as:

 FT243, 2 pins, spaced 0.486" and .093" dia.
HC-6/U - Crystal, metal can, spacing 0.486", pin dia. 0.050"

Holder TypePin SpacingPin DiameterHeightWidthThickness

HC-5/U0.8120.1562.201.821.60
HC-6/U0.4860.0500.780.760.35
HC-10/U(Note A)0.0601.10-0.56D
HC-13/U0.4860.0500.780.760.35
HC-17/U0.4860.0930.780.760.35
HC-18/U(Note B)-0.530.400.15
HC-25/U0.1920.0401.530.760.35
FT-2430.5000.0931.100.900.40

FT-243 - Dimensions: 13/16" X 3/8" X 1-1/8" tall
Dimensions: 0.8125" wide X 0.375" deep X 1.125" tall plus pins.
Dimensions: 20.6mm X 9.5mm X 28.6 mm
With 2 pins, spaced 0.486" (12.3mm) and pin diameter = 0.093" (2.4mm)
Pin length =3/8" (9.5mm).

He lists the HC48 as:
HC-48/U - Crystal Unit, thin pins, same as HC-6/U but welded.
and that is also what you will get from International Crystal.
I just looked at Jan Crystal's web page at
http://www.jancrystals.com/chart.html and they still list them as HC-6/U.  I
found their web site hard to use from an ordering standpoint but they have been
around for years.
I do not know if that sheds any light on the discussion or not but the HC48
versus HC6 discussion caught me by surprise at International when I was looking
for crystals a few years ago.  By the same token,  HC25 (small plug in crystals
liked used in the old Drake crystal controlled 2 meter transceivers) is
something like HC50 now and the HC18 wire lead is now the common HC49.  Again
the HC49 and HC50 or HC25 and HC18 if you will,  is like the HC6 and FT243 in
that the pin spacing is the same but the pin diameter is different.

HC-18/U - Crystal - same as HC-49/U but soldered
HC-25/U - Crystal - Same as HC-49 but with rigid pins.
(also same as HC50/U but soldered)

So I gather from Bry's discussion that the difference between the HC6 and the
HC50 is that the HC6 is has a soldered on shell where the HC50 has a welded
shell.  Same for the HC25 and HC50 in that the HC-25 is soldered and the HC-50
is welded.  Why the holder nomenclature is different just because they used a
different method to attach the top cover is beyond me but then I am not in
manufacturing.

Thank you.
Jim Pruitt

>>> On 12/19/2011 at 7:15 PM, <d...@martineer.net> wrote:

Lee,
I'm really not understanding your posts I have seen on several venues today.
There's not really a coorelation between the HC-6/U crystal and the FT-243,
unless my old memory is worse than I think.  Aren't those two separate types of
crystals, different spacing, different pin size, etc???

As far as HC-6/U's go, you can buy them from International Crystal, in Oklahoma
City for around $20 per crystal and know that they meet or exceed the original
specs that Drake, Collins, etc used when these rigs were new.  Why go to all
the trouble of ordering overseas??

Now, if Vincent makes FT-243 type crystals, or HC-6/U types with FT-243 sized
pins, then I DO understand and would be interested.  I miss being able to buy
C-W crystals since they went out of business.
73,
Don, WB5HAK