Hello Jim, All

It seems my post went directly to you.
It was supposed to go through the Drakelist to you!
Anyways......

No, it is definitely the better, non contaminating welding process quality.
Look for instance at this place:

http://www.stabitech.nl/QuartzCrystalHolderTypes.htm

I remember reading about this at a number of different places though.
It is being used since long before rohs was "invented".
But agreed, lead-free / rohs compliance could also be a valid reason for using this type of crystal holder for manufacturers.

Sending this now to the correct email address, "drakelist@zerobeat.net" as intended the first time....... ;-)

Henry - PA0HJA