Don -

Welcome to the club!!  :-)

I don't know if FSK is 'better' or not. FSK IS stable and there are no 'phantom' signals (carrier, unwanted sideband, distorted AFSK tones) that are all quite possible with AFSK. Best thing about AFSK is that there are no mods required to the transmitter.

I'm not familiar with 'modern' TTY stuff, my most modern RTTY was with a homebrew DT-600 and FS-1 with my 28ASR. My first RTTY was the single tube converter from the Handbook' a T-4X with FSK shifter installed, and my Model 19ASR. Had a lot of fun with it over the years.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Don Cunningham wrote:
I'm afraid to advise on RTTY anymore since I learned I am the village idiot on RTTY. Only ran in since 1968, so I'm still learning, but FSK is better, even if I'm wrong again!!!!!!!!!!
73,
Don, WB5HAK