Many potentiometers having a switch on the back are common in that the
switch will fit several different controls. I have found many of these on  NOS
and used pots at hamfests and I always buy several, especially new ones. It
is nice to get several since they are prone to getting lost in the junque
pile  at home. The purpose of this is to remind you that if your switch dies,
there is  still hope. Not so the L-4B and L-7 switches although I have
heard of some  fellows who were able to repair them.

Garey's power strip idea is an excellent way to take the load off the
equipment mounted switch but I am a bit of a nut then it comes to turning on a
piece of great with the internal switch. Yes, matching and replacing the
switch  can be a real exercise in patience since many times, the entire control
has to  be removed to replace the switch on the back. If you don't mind
scrounging and a  bit of work, you can keep your gear original, at least when
it comes to powering  it up. By the way, Garey's idea is a great way to make
sure all the gear  connected to it is off and in a storm, pulling that
single strip plug and  disconnecting antennas may save you from electrical
storm
damage.

This goes for other makes of boatanchors also.

73,

John,  W4AWM