John -

Absolutely switches can be replaced. I've also been known to replace just the resistance element in a hard to find pot, especially those dis-similar dual jobs! :-) There is always a way...

I have a NOS Drake switch pair for my L-4B.  That's my retirement plan...   :-)

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

w4...@aol.com wrote:
Many potentiometers having a switch on the back are common in that the switch will fit several different controls. I have found many of these on NOS and used pots at hamfests and I always buy several, especially new ones. It is nice to get several since they are prone to getting lost in the junque pile at home. The purpose of this is to remind you that if your switch dies, there is still hope. Not so the L-4B and L-7 switches although I have heard of some fellows who were able to repair them. Garey's power strip idea is an excellent way to take the load off the equipment mounted switch but I am a bit of a nut then it comes to turning on a piece of great with the internal switch. Yes, matching and replacing the switch can be a real exercise in patience since many times, the entire control has to be removed to replace the switch on the back. If you don't mind scrounging and a bit of work, you can keep your gear original, at least when it comes to powering it up. By the way, Garey's idea is a great way to make sure all the gear connected to it is off and in a storm, pulling that single strip plug and disconnecting antennas may save you from electrical storm damage.
This goes for other makes of boatanchors also.
73,
John,  W4AWM