From: Garey Barrell <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: Curt <cptc...@flash.net>
Cc: drakelist <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Thu, Feb 9, 2012 9:45 am
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] pan adapter

Curt -

I guess I'm missing the objective here. I have several SoftRocks, Ensemble,
etc., and the biggest
'feature' they offer is the ability to see large chunks ( 48, 96 or 192 kHz ) at
a time.  If you tap
off in front of the roofing filter, 5.645 MHz 1st IF, all you are gaining is an
RF stage and
mechanically tuned LO.  Your widest 'window' is 20 kHz because of the
PreSelector bandwidth.

It makes sense with one of the modern radios with octave filtering in the front
end so you CAN see
the entire 48 or 96 kHz capability of the SR. I just can't see the advantage of
putting a
state-of-the-art, computer controlled receiver BEHIND a mechanically tuned, 50
year old front end.

I guess I just don't understand the objective unless it's just all the IF
bandwidths, etc.  Seems to
me a much better option is to just go with the Ensemble and get 1- 30 MHz
continuous coverage,
tunable from the PowerSDR or other screen. I can't hear anything on any of the
Drakes that I can't
hear on the Ensemble, being limited by 'atmospherics' rather than noise figure.

The Ensemble in it's little QSL sized case just sits there and receives
everything, all under the
computer control.   ??????

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Curt wrote:
Hi Carey:

I did exactly that a few years ago with my a version. It works
really well
and is a excellent way
to get involved with SDR, the Software, and get a panadapter along
the way.

You need to get the proper IF version softrock. The SDR needs to be
tapped
off of the 1st IF
before the filtering. The SDR needs to be able to see unfiltered RF
at the IF
frequency.

You need as good a Soundcard as you can afford. The Delta44 is one
of the
ones widely used.

The connection to the main Rx is a bit touchy. I used a gimmick and
a small
cap but that is less
than ideal. Clifton Labs offers a isolator on a small board that is
the real
answer.

The Softrock for the IF will be different. The coils are different
as is the
crystal.  Tony Parks
was good about answering questions and providing info. He can
probaly supply
the stuff you need
to convert the 40M kit since I don't think the IF kit currently being
done
includes the Drake IF freq.

Hope this helps

Curt