----- Original Message ----- From: "Curt Nixon" <cptc...@flash.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] VTVM Probe with DMM

Hi Paul. Wouldn't it be the same thing if you set-up a reference voltage that is -1.07V or whatever the drop is and then pushed the relative button?

If all you are trying to do is improve upon the input Z of the DMM, , my opinion is that I have never seen a measurement in troubleshooting any tube set that could not be done with a modern DMM. At 10M inputZ, it isn't going to do much in the way of load.

Using one for an RF probe is slightly more of an issue but with a properly built RF probe, it still is no real issue.

Perhaps I have misunderstood what and why you are trying to acheive.

FWIW

Curt
KU8L

The idea of the 1 meg resistor at the probe tip is to reduce the effect of lead capacitance on the measurement. Evidently a lot of electronic voltmeters have them. In some cases a manufacturer will specify the use of such a resistor in making measurements. I think Collins does this in some older manuals.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles