Certainly, find and fix the noise before doing any mods.

73 de W3NU

On 2/14/2014 0208, Adriano wrote:
John

I'm not a technician but i'll suggest to check what's wrong ( "common" tube stuff such as power supply caps, rotary switches and tube sockets cleaning etc etc ) before any mod .

I've just repaired mine ( it was a tube fault, nothing serious ) and it work like a charm. I don't have any mod and i don't want to. I'm keeping every "vintage" stuff on its original "shape".

The reason is : if I have an R-4C with modifications....isn't a R-4C anymore...if i want a solid-statd rig i have plenty to play with...but that's me .

Check if any cap has leakage, try to swamp tubes with spares and good luck !

'73 de Adrian iz3svi