Thinking about it a little more, since it may or may not have transitioned to TX, the driver or any of the other tubes that are bias controlled can do the same at reduced voltages.

Hope there was no long term damage.

I once worked on a FT101E that had a defective socket on the grid of one of the finals. As soon as HV came on, with that grid floating, it began cooking. Bias measured OK, all voltages lookedOK, but no bias was getting to the actual tube--duh! I finally figured out what was going on after the tube got so hot, the vacuum sucked a hole thru the side of the tube. Still have that tube BTW...reminder..

Curt
KU8L