Hi,

I'm not sure if this package is intended for developers and on
non-Debian systems, but I fearlessly tried it out on my RedHat 7.1
installation anyway. If I missed the point, please ignore the following.

I tested the i386/tdfx combination on a 3500TV. Except for one problem,
pure OpenGL apps run OK. I ran into a problem with the presence of
/usr/lib/libGL.so from the RH 7.1 Mesa RPM installation. Unless you put
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib in the environment, all installed RH 7.1
OpenGL applications segmentation fault immediately in
driMesaBindContext(). Perhaps the installation scripts should move the
libraries in /usr/lib out of the way, too? Or at least ask the user
about it? Otherwise, installed Mesa and Mesa-devel RPMs should probably
be removed. In which case, it would be nice if the package included the
Mesa header files, too.

Also, it appears that libGLU is the SGI SI? This is great! I tried
relinking my own C++ application against libGL and libGLU in
/usr/X11R6/lib. This yielded a couple of problems. First, either the
installation script or ldconfig did not create a
'/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so' symlink to the real libGLU.so.1.3, therefore
the linker picked up the one in /usr/lib (which is the Mesa 3.4 GLU in
RH 7.1). [Here, I must admit ignorance. Perhaps someone would be willing
to explain to me (off-line, maybe) exactly how ld, ld.so and ldconfig
are supposed to interact with the version numbers on shared objects.
What does ld look for that's different from what ld.so looks for, for
example?]

I added the symlink by hand and it linked OK. However, my program
segmentation faults the first time it tries to do a dynamic_cast<>(). I
suspect this results from using the RH 7.1 version of GCC 2.96. If I
compile the SI GLU (which is a C++ library, itself) from the current
Mesa CVS, my code works without problems. (I installed the RH 6.2 EGCS
compatibility packages, too, and it got further, but my program uses Qt
which is only available compiled with GCC 2.96, so it still aborts.)

Lastly, it would be nice if the OpenGL man pages where included, too
(see ftp://ftp.sgi.com/opengl/doc).

Thanks,
Allen