Daryll Strauss wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:59:17AM -0400, Allen Barnett wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this package is intended for developers and on
> > non-Debian systems, but I fearlessly tried it out on my RedHat 7.1
> > installation anyway. If I missed the point, please ignore the following.
>
> We have a bit of a problem with install scripts. Making them work for
> all the distributions is tough. We're trying to get there, but we need
> people to work on them. In reality the "better" way to install is to get
> a whole native package from your distribution. Our install scripts try
> to "update" that to the latest versions of our code.
>
> So if anyone wants to step up and help with the script issues on one or
> more distributions, please do!
... and take care not to break the install script for others, where it
already works FINE ;-) !

I'm using SuSE 7.0/7.1 and tried the install script a few day ago; I had
no major problems, only thing I found was that the tdfx module loading
at the end didn't work with "modprobe" (which is used by the script),
but it did when I used "insmod tdfx" manually (could be caused by a
mistake in my /etc/modules.conf, have to check this...).

This is using kernel 2.4.4 and modutils 2.4.6 (and a V5 5500 AGP)... the
tdfx DRM module perfectly built and was installed under
/lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/char/drm/tdfx.o.

So, I can't complain, it's a fine solution for ease of use (makes
updating the DRI much easier/faster).

I would like to say THANK YOU to everybody working on the packages and
install script !

I can only complain about the unsupported SLI mode for my V5... that's
not the fault of anybody on this list, I know. But wasn't there a guy
called Bill White (I think) from (ex-)3dfx who wanted to complete this
work ? Where is he ? What is he doing ? Where can we reach him or others
feeling responsible for this ?

I don't think it's a good idea to just STOP the development for V5 SLI
support saying "it's dead, so we don't do it"... ok, thats a bit OT now,
but it's frustrating if you buy a card, 'cause it was guaranteed that
FULL Linux support would be available soon after first shipment, and you
later have to realize that you were totally fooled. I'm judging it that
way because there was a 6-month timeframe BEFORE the aquisistion by
nVidia...

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling that way.

Again, I'm NOT accusing anybody on this list and expecially NOT the DRI
developers, so please don't get me wrong. You are doing a great job, and
I appreciate that !

I just want to get some more information about the status and find a way
to solve this issue... perhaps a new discussion about it can result in a
solution in some way. Well, at least hope so ;-(.

Rene
--
R. Reucher                     voice:  +49/621/4803-174
COMPAREX GmbH, VL40            fax:    +49/621/4803-141