Manuel Teira wrote:
> Hello. Once again I try to get any answer about Mach64 DRI development.
> Is there any work in progress? Is the development for the Mach64 dead?

Having heard no sign of those who expressed an interest in pursuing
development themselves on this list, and the original author now on
a (hopefully!) rejuvenating longish break :), it seems it is indeed
dead for now.

> I know that the Mach64 is no state-of-art, but a lot of laptops are still
> wearing one of these cards.

The problem is VA has *really* more important things to do (AFAIK),
so unless someone from the community steps forward to continue
development, we're out of luck.

> Is there any way to help in the development of this driver? I've never coded
> a driver and the huge XFree trunk afraids me, but, anyway, I should try to
> help if somebody could help me with the first steps: Where to find
> information about the chip? Where to find some templates or architectural
> information about DRI,...

Since I looked this up myself: ATI gives docs to Xfree86 developers.
You can become one if you send a fix to some X problem to
Xfree86.org (the appropriate places there). If you don't want to
since you only want to hack DRI (definitely possible, read up on the
archives here: DRI is *very* much isolated from the huge rest of
Xfree), you can get the Utah-GLX code which had ATI Mach64 working.

> I think the DRI development group is making a good work. It's a pitty I can't
> see the results in my old graphic card.

Also consider buying a new graphics card from a supportive vendor
(Ati, Matrox, ...) which I'll likely do. However, this doesn't help
alleviate your laptop troubles :-)

Good luck (esp. if you do want to code!)

Yours Malte #8-)