Andrew James Richardson wrote:

>   I'm sure that everybody has their say on this but would you think of  a
> company set up so that people donated money in exchange of binary drivers
> (source was free of course) for DRI, more like ordered donation than
> business really. I for one would be keen to donate $20 per 6 months, and
> thats irrespective of  actually getting the binaries (I can compile them
> myself anyway). I think the point is that do you think people are willing
> to pay hard cash to support DRI?

I think people need to take a step back and have a think about how much
money it costs to support top-class developers like those work/have worked
on the DRI.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.  Unless
the IHVs (or other companies) want to support it, I seriously doubt the
open-source 3D graphics world will progress much further.  Is the G400/r128
class of hardware relevant anymore?  That's the last generation to see
anything approaching full support by open-source drivers.

-- Gareth