Would it be possible to set up an area on the webpage for people to pledge
money towards certain projects (e.g. pageflipping on voodoo, glideless DRI
driver for 3dfx, V5 SLI, tnl support for radeon, pseudodma ragepro driver)?
I think a few people would be willing to put up some money for that, perhaps
enough to get at least some poor college students working on these projects.

On Friday 14 September 2001 17:32, you wrote:
> On Friday 14 Sep 2001 6:58 pm, you wrote:
> > I think people need to take a step back and have a think about how much
> > money it costs to support top-class developers like those work/have
> > worked on the DRI.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars a
> > year.  Unless
>
> Definitely. I can't see that ever being a way forward, unless it's in a
> cosource style "price per feature" model. e.g. People club together to
> raise $1000 to pay developer X to implement SLI for the V5. (Obviously
> there are no specs available and so on, so that example is merely an
> example)
>
> > the IHVs (or other companies) want to support it, I seriously doubt the
> > open-source 3D graphics world will progress much further.  Is the
> > G400/r128 class of hardware relevant anymore?  That's the last generation
> > to see anything approaching full support by open-source drivers.
>
> Chicken + egg.
> No specs, no development effort. No visible development effort, no
> incentive to release specs. And the current consolidation of the graphics
> hardware market does us no favours.

Eric Anholt