What you say is true, it isn't all that difficult for you and I, but compare
that to Windows where you have one driver set for a whole range of adapters
and all the user has to do is download and click.  That is why Windows is so
popular.  It is simple.  Just because you can say something like 'it can be
done without too much difficulty' doesn't mean that people will use it.  If
you want people to switch to Linux or use Linux as a desktop/gaming platform
you better make it as nice and easy to use as what they are using now.
Telling people to RTFM is a cop out, the real solution is to make it so they
don't have to RTFM.

David