On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:17:03AM +0000, David Johnson wrote:
> Actually I think SiS offers an idct solution as well but beyond protecting
> intellectual property there are potential legal issues with exposing how ATI
> decodes copy righted, copy protected DVD.
I don't understand what this fuss about hardware accelerated idct is. In which
situation you actually get use of it? When I play DVDs on my Duron 650 I get
over 50% free CPU time with a software-only dvd decoder (vlc), the card only
does yuv->rgb and scaling. It really only helps on older computers, but why
would anyone buy a radeon 8500 and put it in an old computer?

> It may or may not be an issue but I understand why they don't want to
> necessarily play those games.  There are similar issues with releasing TV
> Out information.
Yes, there are problems about macrovision, i.e. the manufacturer shouldn't
give out the docs if they can't ensure control of macrovision. Fortunately
there has been some progress lately in the area of undocumented TV-Out
features, thanks to me <g>.

Hmm isn't this dri-devel? Shouldn't we be talking about stuff like how to do
DMA efficiently and what new functions to add instead? Brings me back to what
I wrote a couple of weeks ago, there is no function in DRI that is able to
transfer data from the card to system memory and such a beast could really
come in handy when doing video capturing.

> David
Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.

PGP signature