> As far as I know this is not so simple as a X server and libs. You also
> have the kernel modules... and those are tied to the kernel version &
> configuration you have.
AFAIR there is a way to build kernel modules without precise kernel
version dependance (correct me if I am wrong) - as long as all external
symbols as resolved, the module will be loaded.

> If the problem you have is hard disk space (you need about 500 Mb) you
> could try to build on a remote machine disk, mounted via samba or nfs.
:) If I only had this machine:) There are only 2 machines in the company
with Linux: my laptop and server. Nobody is going to let me build
something on the server (and it does make sense:).

> If the problem is slow/expensive internet connection I think that I it
> would be no problem if I hosted a bzipped tarball of the mach64 branch
> snapshot.
In sources? :( I am not sure it will help me (see above). BTW, what
would be the size of the archive (because traffic is an issue for me)?

So, the question is: whether there is a way to build kernel modules for
"generic" 2.4.x? Will this cause trouble? Also, my second question is
still remaining: will the server and libs be compatible with XFree 4.1.0
from RH7.2 distro?

Regards,

Sergey