> But we're talking page count, not byte count. So signed vs unsigned is
> something like having 8 vs 16 TERRABYTES addressable.
> Personally, I dont think that should be an issue :-)

well estimated. ;-)

consider such a coding:
        size_t size_of_one_member, total_size_in_bytes;
        int number_of_members;
        total_size_in_bytes = size_of_one_member * number_of_members;
this might cause some warnings due to the required type intermixing.
storing similar objects in compatible types sounds reasonable to me.

> So allowing signed int for pagecounts, means you can allow -1
> as a flag for "uninitialized" or something.

a special value of zero is sufficient here.

> Maybe not passing back to the user. But in internal routines
> that calculate pagecounts, etc.

with a -1 in that member all your calculations will need
extra code for testing this or will give wrong results

Regards Alex.

PS: to Gareth - i dont do it, unless you give me CVS write permission...