> From: Philip Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:52:04PM +0100, Alexander Stohr wrote:
> > Try this page:
> > http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/index.htm
>
> I found what seems to be the only document relevant to my AGP
> programming
> issue,
> "440BX AGPset: 82443BX Host Bridge/Controller Datasheet"
>
> which is
> http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063301.pdf
>
> of which I eyeball-scanned through its 132 pages
>   (skipping the electrical signals section)
> and while I saw mention of the function of the GATT, nowhere did I see
> specification of the FORMAT of the GATT. arrg.

exactly this i meant and this i remembered about the documentation.

> > and if it doesnt show you all those stuff - go to AMD because
> > they do nicely explain their two level GART system. It helped
> > me a lot to get finally familiar with the topic.
>
> but how does learning how to program AMD hardware, help me to
> program the
> Intel 82443 hardware that I actually have in my possesion? :-/

Yes, my suggestion sounds weired, but isn't.
AMD is categories better in explaining the table structure of the terminal
GATT tables - the principle meaning of the bits is identical to those
that Intel does use. so you can understand the agpgart programming
of the intel chipsets by having read the AMD documentation. just keep
in mind that intel does not have that intermediate level of a gatt table
directory in its main memory.

regards, Alex.