On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:11:26 -0800
"Raystonn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, some details were left out of CPU performance increases.  The same was
> done for memory performance increases though.  We have been discussing
> memory bandwidth as memory performance, completely leaving out memory
> latency, which has also improved tremendously.

Pardon me, but I haven't seen this wonderful improvement.

I benchmarked several machines a while back:
- a P200 with a TX chipset board and EDO DRAM
- a P2-266 with an LX chipset and PC-66 SDRAM
- a K6-III/550 with a Via MVP3 chipset and PC-100 SDRAM

The P200 pulled off about 75MBytes/sec; the P2-266 pulled off about 55 MBytes/sec; the
K6-III/550 pulled off about 100MBytes/sec. All of this was done under Linux; tests
were performed with memtest86 (? it's been a while, basically though they were not
performed under any operating system other than that which was on the floppy).

This doesn't support your conclusions here. I would hazard a guess that memory
performance there had more to do with the chipset involved than superior memory
technology.

David Bronaugh