On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:35:41PM +0100, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> I know that main reason for resuming the development of Utah-GLX was the
> difficulties involved in porting the DRM to others OS, such as Solaris.
>
> But why not reuse the DRI's Mesa and DXX drivers code and port and/or
> remake a stripped-down DRM,

Mesa is not part of DRI.
When Utah-GLX moves to Mesa 4.x, it will be using the same Mesa code as
DRI.

I'd love to SEE a solaris port of DRM.
However, I'm not willing to do it.
You can count the number of people who are Solaris driver-writing
"free agents" on one hand. Now try to find one of the other four(3?),
and try to convince them to put in the amount of time and hassle required
to port the DRI kernel stuff.

DRI does not lend itself easily to being ported.
Nor do I want to try swimming upstream to make a port happen.
DRI is way too linux-centric right now.
When and if DRI was rearchitectured to be more platform-netral
  (Just one example would be:
     identifying and moving common routines into an actual
     common area, rather than hacks like the BSD "driver" linking
     from ../linux)
then I or one of the other solaris developers would be more inclined to do
the port.